The Graduate School of Medical Sciences since 2016 offers selected students of Strategic Partners to participate in the "Summer of Research". The Summer of Research consists of three different activities that together take about 1.5 months in June and July: participation in one of the largest biomedical student conferences in the world (ISCOMS), a research internship, and participation in one of the medical summer schools.
Why do we do this?
Until 2016, the Graduate School used to sponsor selected students from partner universities to participate in ISCOMS and the Summer School separately. Considering that we additionally make partial funding for short (one-month) research stays available throughout the year (see "ATTP Research Voucher"), we believe that by creating the Summer of Research, we may optimize student experience as well as focus on those students who have a particular interest in research. Ultimately, the Graduate School aims to increase the potential for international research collaborations, including sandwich PhD structures, with our Strategic Partners. The Summer of Research is a great way to become acquainted with the University Medical Center Groningen and the city of Groningen.
The 2019 Summer of Reseearch
The 2019 Program consists of the following activities from 3 June until mid-July:
- 3-7 June 2019: ISCOMS International Student Congress of (Bio)Medical Sciences focusing on biomedical research. One of the leading conferences organized by students for students.
- 10 June 2019 – 2/5 July: Research internship at department of student’s choice (or extended ISCOMS International Research Fellowship)
- 3/8 July until 12 July 2019: Summer School
The Summer Schools for which we offer scholarships for selected students are:
- Cardiovascular Regenerative Medicine, 3-12 July 2019
- Global Health, 3-12 July 2019
- Ageing Brain, 3-12 July 2019
- Pediatrics, 3-12 July 2019
- Healthy Ageing, 8-12 July 2019
Note that the options within the Summer of Research are only available to selected students from a number of our Strategic Partners!
How does it work?
Students will be selected by the international offices at the Strategic Partners who participate in the Summer of Research. The Graduate School of Medical Sciences typically receives the names of the selected students in March each year. If you are interested to participate in one or more elements of the Summer of Research, you should also take the following into account:
- ISCOMS: ATTP will cover the fees related to ISCOMS if students have submitted an abstract to present at the conference, and their abstract has been selected. The deadline for abstract submission is 7 February 2019 via the ISCOMS website. Note that the selection of abstracts is done by ISCOMS, not the Graduate School. Therefore, the Graduate School may decide to make an exception for students who have submitted an abstract but were not selected, and cover the fees related to their participation in ISCOMS as non-presenters.
- Research Internship: placement of students for a research stay is always dependent on the availability of research expertise in the area of choice of the student as well as the student quality and motivation. Students are therefore requested to consult the Research Portfolio of the UMCG before applying, and provide a clear perspective on the potential for collaboration between your institution and Groningen in the longer term. Students should submit their application to the Research Voucher by 15 March 2019 to the Graduate School. Their application should include a CV and a Letter of Motivation, including a description of their research interests.
- Summer Schools: as in previous years, we leave the selection of students for the summer schools up to the partner. In this edition, we would like to ask you to pay particular attention to academic excellence, research focus, and English language skills. Please submit the names of the selected students to the Graduate School, before 1 April 2019.
What do we cover?
In selected cases, the Graduate School covers:
- ISCOMS fees, which includes registration and housing
- Research Internship: a Research Voucher for three weeks ad 600 euros
- Summer School fees, which includes registration and housing
This means that most costs for the stay of the students in Groningen will be covered. They would need to find the means for travel and some extra pocket money.