Visiting Sandwich PhD

A visiting Sandwich PhD student may also be considered a visiting doctoral researcher. It concerns a student enrolled in a PhD program at an international (partner) university who has usually acquired a competitive scholarship to spend a period of research at  the UMCG/UG, without the initial explicit intention to obtain their PhD at UG.

GSMS support: Sandwich PhD non-degree mobility

In most cases, students who wish to apply to a Sandwich PhD mobility abroad need to apply to a scholarship. In those cases, the GSMS provides a Letter of Acceptance if the Groningen supervisor provides the GS with the information as requested in the form "Sandwich PhD: external funding application", available for download below. This form, together with an English-language CV, should be sent to Joyce Fongers.

Both candidate and supervisors need to take into account that:

  • In general it will take between three and four months for the student to start their stay in Groningen. This particularly goes for students with a non-EU nationality who will spend more than 90 days in Groningen, because the University needs to apply for a visa for the student. See also our FAQ section.
  • Once the scholarship has been awarded, either the GS will guide practical procedures to get the student to Groningen, or the GS will instruct the hosting department to do so.
Contact us
  • Fields marked with a * are required