In 2019, the Graduate School of Medical Sciences (GSMS) offers five 3-year PhD positions to recent graduates who hold a master degree (or equivalent).
Who can apply?
Application is open to prospective PhD candidates who have successfully completed, or are about to complete, their degree in health or (bio)medical sciences and who did part of their research at the UMCG. Formal eligibility requirements are:
- The prospective PhD student undertook (part of) a research project, at least the equivalent of 5 EC, under the direct supervision of a UMCG Principal Investigator
- The prospective PhD has completed or will complete their master degree (or equivalent, e.g. MD degree) between 1 July 2018 and 1 September 2019
The application involves a two-step procedure:
- Pre-registration, deadline 1 July 2019
- Submission of a full PhD proposal by eligible students, deadline 2 September 2019
Prospective PhD students who wish to apply to one of the GSMS 3-year PhD positions need to submit the following documentation by 1 July 2019:
- Pre-registration form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of Master diploma or certified grade report
- Letter of recommendation and commitment UMCG Principal Investigator
- Summary of PhD project proposal (one page maximum, no template provided)
Pre-registrations should be sent to the attention of prof. dr. Nico Bos (Chair Evaluation Committee) via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-registrations, in addition to the formal eligibility requirements as set above, will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- CV of the candidate
- Academic records (grades)
- Quality of project proposal summary
Applicants who are considered eligible may enter the second phase of the two-step procedure.
2. Submission of the PhD proposal
Eligible pre-registered students will be invited to write and submit an original PhD research proposal under the supervision of the involved PI. The topic of the PhD proposal should match with the objectives of one of the research program of the UMCG. The supervising PI should be a full member of this research program.
Evaluation of PhD proposals
The evaluation of the PhD proposals is as follows:
- Evaluation of proposal by three independent reviewers from the UMCG Evaluation Committee
- Rebuttal by candidate on reviewers' feedback
- Selection of fifteen candidates for presentation and defense of PhD proposal to the Evaluation Committee
- Ranking and selection of five PhD proposals for 3-year GSMS funding
The Evaluation Committee is composed of senior staff of the involved research institutes and the GSMS.
Important deadlines 2019
|1 July||Deadline submission pre-registration|
|10 July||Applicants informed of eligibility pre-registration by Evaluation Committee|
|2 September||Deadline submission full PhD proposal|
|18 September||Reviewer comments sent to applicants|
|30 September||Deadline rebuttal submission|
|7-11 October||Interviews with top-15 applicants|
|16 October||Applicants informed of selection results|