2017 PhD scholarships for Chilean students
The Chilean Council for Science & Technology (CONICYT) opened its 2017 call for applications for prospective PhD students. Chilean students have an opportunity to apply to funding to do their PhD studies abroad within the Becas Chile program. UMCG supervisors who are in touch with a Chilean prospective PhD student may request support from the Graduate School of Medical Sciences to facilitate the candidate's application to CONICYT funding.
Calls for applications
CONICYT publishes three different calls for Chilean nationals to apply to master or PhD funding abroad:
- Full PhD funding: candidates receive up to 48-months of funding to do their full PhD abroad. The call for applications is open until 19 April 2016 (electronic submission). More information (in Spanish) can be found on the CONICYT website and in the relevant call for proposals.
- Sandwich PhD funding: for candidates already enrolled in a Chilean PhD program. (Call currently closed)
- Full master funding: candidates receive up to 24 months of funding to do their entire master degree abroad. (Call currently closed)
The deadlines for the full PhD call for applications:
- 19 April (electronic submission)
- 12 April (paper submission)
Details: CONICYT website.
Ranking University of Groningen/UMCG
Students who apply to a PhD position abroad need a letter of acceptance to the PhD program at the University of Groningen. At the UMCG, this falls under the responsibility of the Graduate School of Medical Sciences (see next section). Additionally, students preferably need to provide proof that the university/group in which they have been accepted as a PhD student to belongs to:
- the top-100 in the relevant OECD sub-area for academic output measured by Web of Science, and/or:
- the Top-50 of the specific academic field on the Times Higher Education or Shanghai (ARWU) rankings
For general information on the University of Groningen ranking please consult this webpage, but note that specific information on output and subject rankings is even more important and that students may ask for this information with their supervisor.
Information UMCG supervisors should submit to the Graduate School
In order to prepare the letter of acceptance for CONICYT applicants, UMCG Principal Investigators should provide the Graduate School with the following documentation/information:
CV of the candidate, including:
- Full name
- Place & Date of Birth
- Candidate e-mail
About the project:
- Total number of months of funding requested (max. 48 months)
- In case of sandwich PhD scholarship: name of the institution and PhD degree program in which the candidate is enrolled
- Provisional start date PhD project
- PhD project title
- Title(s) and name(s) supervisor(s) and departmental affiliation(s)
- Bench fee requested from CONICYT per year