PhD Scholarships for Chilean Students
Chilean students have an opportunity to apply for funding to do their PhD studies abroad within the Becas Chile program through the Chilean Council for Science & Technology. UMCG supervisors who are in touch with a Chilean prospective PhD student may request support from the Graduate School of Medical Sciences to facilitate the candidate's application to CONICYT funding.
Calls for Applications
Each year, CONICYT publishes three different calls for Chilean nationals to apply to master or PhD funding abroad:
- Full PhD funding: candidates receive up to 48-months of funding to do their full PhD abroad.
- Sandwich PhD funding: for candidates already enrolled in a Chilean PhD program.
- Full master funding: candidates receive up to 24 months of funding to do their entire master degree abroad.
Ranking University of Groningen/UMCG
Students applying for a PhD position need a letter of acceptance to the PhD program at the University of Groningen or at the UMCG.
Additionally, students need to provide proof to CONICYT that the university in which they have been accepted as a PhD student to belongs:
- the top-100 in the relevant OECD sub-area for academic output measured by Web of Science, and/or:
- the Top-50 of the specific academic field on the Times Higher Education or Shanghai (ARWU) rankings
The University of Groningen publishes their most recent rankings on the website. Please note that specific information on output and subject rankings is even more important; please ask your supervisor for this information.
For Prospective PhD Students
For UMCG Supervisors and Principal Investigators
In order to prepare the letter of acceptance for CONICYT applicants, UMCG Principal Investigators should provide the Graduate School of Medical Sciences with the following supporting information and documents:
CV of the candidate, including:
- Full name
- Place & date of birth
- E-mail address
About the project:
- Total number of months of funding requested (max. 48 months)
- In case of sandwich PhD scholarship: name of the institution and PhD degree program in which the candidate is enrolled
- Provisional start date PhD project
- PhD project title
- Title(s) and name(s) of supervisor(s) and departmental affiliation(s)
- Bench fee requested from CONICYT annually